Sunday, June 21, 2015

FDNY - Green Berets

The 14th Battalion of the FDNY, Engine 60, Tower Ladder 17 is located at 341 East 143 Street in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx 6th Division.
On St. Patrick's Day in 1970, members of Engine 60, Ladder 17, and the 14th Battalion donned green berets hand knitted by Mrs. Julia Browne, mother-in-law of Willie Cottrell (L-17). 
Although the members were not allowed to wear the berets during the parade that year, they donned them afterwards, and distinguished themselves as men from this historic firehouse. In 1974, the platoon entered the parade as a maverick unit, and marched up 5th Avenue wearing the green. 
Acting Fire Commissioner Stephen J. Murphy gave permission for a Green Beret Platoon, and the Green Berets made their first official appearance. On March 17th, 1977.

1 comment:

  1. I was a proud wearer of the "Green Beret" while a covering Lt.@ E-60 & L-17 in 1977. The guys allowed me to wear the beret while with them. The guys there were the greatest and I really enjoyed my time there. I still have my "Green Beret" from those days, and also have my Tee shirt with the Logo on it.

    ReplyDelete